Sophie's world blog 2

Things are getting confusing, so the guy sending her the letters sends her one dated a month in the future, so either he is really bad at reading a calendar, or he is from the future. I don’t really know which one is a more legitimate answer mostly because I have been expecting a huge twist, (which you did promise me)so if he is from the future I wouldn’t be that shocked, but obviously, he could have written the wrong number. A big part of the section we read was on religion.  Alberto explains pretty aptly how different religions work, he talks about Semitic culture (Jews, Christians, Muslims) and Indo-European culture (Greeks and Romans.) This is all rather interesting, but I know you have read this book several times, so I’m not going to tell you something you already know. I thought it was kind of cool that he talked about how Christianity is a little different because of the partially infused Indo-European parts; all this because it just so happened to do well in Europe. All that is cool, but it is mostly to show you that I read the book, the craziest part of the reading was when she found a parallel within history to her own life. She found out there was a philosopher who was named Hildegard (kinda like Hilde!), and Hildegard saw Sophia (or Sophie) and this Priest’s teacher was named Alberto. All of this adds up to some spooky stuff, the fact that they are all names one would find when studying historical philosophy is either a nod to the audience or just spooky.

I thought of how Christianity is different than the other Semitic religions, because of all the hoopla that happened in Europe while the whole Jesus thing caught on. I was wondering how the world would be different if Islam had gone through the European tweaks that Christianity did. I think that there would be a whole lot less Islamaphobia, I see a world where because Islam had been adjusted, but is also a better-understood religion to those who don’t follow it. I also wonder what would happen to Christianity, what would it look like today if instead of traveling around Europe it stayed true to itself and stayed in the Middle East. I think that there is a pretty high likelihood that it would replace Islam as the West’s favorite religion to shit on. Without the immersion in Western culture, Christianity wouldn’t be seen in the same light as it is now; I think it would lack the mainstream aspect that it has today, I see it being a little rarer in the US and western Europe. I think that it would make an interesting group discussion, and I have no clue if I am right about this. I think that if Islam had taken the place of Christianity, being the dominating religion in Europe, they would have been exactly in the others shoes in public perception today.

Comments