Sophie's world 1st blog

So far, I don't really love the book, it is a little like the movie with Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock where they exchange letters through the past and future through a time travelling mail box. All in all I didn't like the parts that I saw of that movie, which makes me skeptical of my enjoyment of this book. The book seems too simple and is almost begging for some sort of plot twist or something that would achieve the same affect; something like at the end of Lost where they are all actually in Purgatory.
We know that Sophie is a 15-year-old girl who is getting letters pertaining to philosophy from an anonymous writer. The letters follow a theme of being about a specific philosopher, or something key in understanding philosophy, such as how Athens was back in Socrates' days. The letters are almost like a philosophy class in themselves, whomever writes them has a good grasp on philosophy and how to teach it. Sophie’s pen pal has taught her important philosophical concepts, she has learned about how natural philosophers were obsessed with finding what the smallest part of things were, how Plato thought everything was changing, and about forms.

We have also learned about many things that Sophie has, just yesterday we learned all about Plato’s concept of forms. I think there are certain perfect versions or forms of everything, but I think there are different forms for different people; Like I said in class, my needs for a car or my needs for a house or my needs in a relationship are different than everyone elses, so there cannot be one perfect form. This connects well to today, technology is getting better and better at such a fast pace. Ten years ago we had the first iPhone, and if you look at all the features it had back then and compare them to what we all have today, it’s a terrible phone. This shows how we are getting closer and closer to the form of a phone, or the form of a laptop. I personally have a Samsung Galaxy S8, and I love it; but most of my friends have iPhones. When I went shopping for my newest phone, I looked at a lot of phones, I looked at iPhones, I looked at Samsungs, I looked at the Pixel; but ultimately I chose this one because it suites my needs the most. This shows how there are different forms for different people, I saw how the iPhone worked and things that it does, but I chose the Samsung because it works best for my lifestyle.

Comments

  1. There is a massive plot twist coming about 3/5 of the way through the novel. It's coming. Be patient.
    Is the old iPhone a terrible phone or by comparison to iPhone X, have our expectations of a phone changed?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment