Identity and how you are you

I agree with memory theory more than body theory. The memories that you have make you yourself more than your outward appearance, if you shave off a set of mutton chops you look different but are still you, however if you suffer from amnesia and you can't remember any of the memories that have molded you over the years you loose yourself. I can get a hair cut, a tattoo, a piercing, or have a kidney transplant and will remain a similar person; the only way I change as a person is those memories have changed my personality, I have become a more updated version of myself. 

I side more with the Psychological connectedness theory than any other part of this video. It is aware that no one is exactly who they were 10 years ago, and certain parts of your memories and personality fall off, I no longer am stupid enough to put a bobby pin in an electrical outlet, and that is explained well with psychological connectedness. Now that I am much older, and some would say wiser than my 8 year old self, and I have less memories and personality traits that connect me to that version of myself than I will with my 20 year old self. The way it ties in with keeping promises and responsibilities is almost perfect; I once told my mother that I would move into a house across the street from her, now that I am older I no longer have to follow up on that. I am no longer the naive person that thought moving in across the street from my parents is a good idea. As I've aged I have had more memories and more experiences that have changes who I am, now that I have a slightly different personality than when I was a child my promise no longer fits with my plans. Though this makes a lot of sense with stupid childhood promises of being BFFs for ever, or that you will never conform to the system because you think Nickleback is a good band(never my opinion), it doesn't work well for things like a mortgage or wedding vows. There is a lot of validity to this theory, but there are definitely real-world examples of where this falls short, telling the bank that because you have changed a little in the last 15 years doesn't mean you don't have to pay off your house.

I am very sarcastic, attention craving, and am very much so the middle child to my family. I am a son, brother, and nuisance at my house, but for all the annoying comments that I make, and all the times I rial up the family dinners, I am very caring and down to earth. I think my family knows that side of me, they don't usually see it, but it is there and an underlying message in all that I do, even if I do some annoying things. To my friends I am very much the same, the only thing I really think changes is that my personality is a little more than at home. This little difference is mostly because I can do it more than at home, because you can pick your friends and I have chosen wisely. All of my friends can take a joke, and know when I am joking and when I'm not, they also know that I'll always be there if they really need me... which is very important in any type of relationship. My real self, the one that only I see is almost identical to what I put out in the world. I strongly believe that you should be unapologetically yourself, this helps you find friends that will actually matter to you in 5 years, you don't have to hide behind the same version of yourself that you put out, you just have to be you. Though the main idea is the same the levels of my personality change, I am less sarcastic and more calm and caring inside me. All of these parts of my personality are big parts of the me that I put out to friends and family, but the amount of each is bumped up a little for my personal self. I think nature has had more of an impact on my personality, I have always craved attention, and have always had deep empathy with others, as well as being sarcastic since before I knew what it really meant. I haven't really been molded by how I was raised much, I came out pretty close to what my parents think of as a good kiddo, but obviously I didn't care about using a knife and fork when I was eating baby food.

Comments