Reflection Connection #6

Reflection:
I dislike the concept of The Minority Report. Having a police team that is supposed to stop people from murdering others is obviously not the worst thing in the world. I don’t like the futuristic aspect of the Pre-Crime agency. Putting people in prison for murder, which they haven’t actually gone through with, is morally wrong in my opinion. I think that this idea heavily relies on fate, there is no room for someone to change their mind. If Tom Cruise is sending people to prison for the rest of their life the person should have actually committed a crime. If he puts them away for attempted murder, that is a little more acceptable. My other issue with this preventing a crime by seeing the future is that there is no worry about any repercussions that changing the timeline. As I learned in the movie Back to the Future, messing with events in the past can have some disastrous consequences. This is something that the folks over at Pre-Crime don’t appear to take into account. What if the person that was getting murdered was the next Sean Penn? I think that there needs to be some type of protocol for people like that.
Connection:

As I have stated in class before, I believe in a hybrid between fate and free-will. I think that we have a series of checkpoints that we are sure to hit, but how we get around to those checkpoints is where the free-will takes place. This movie doesn’t really align with my views on fate vs. free-will. This is a very important to me in the discussion of philosophy, it is more important than discussing whether or not life matters. The fate/ free-will discussion asks the question of how our lives advance, regardless of how much life matters it will probably still go on. Even if you are more like Schopenhauer, than Schopenhauer was your life will most likely continue: regardless of how much it matters. Through out the movie I was confused on how they could prosecute people who didn’t commit any crime, they even said that people stopped planning murders because they knew they would get caught. Therefore, when someone “murders” someone they aren’t planning or brooding their murder, they just get to a point where they can’t control their emotions.  I think that with my ideas on fate vs. free-will dilemma I can’t sign off on the blind following of this fate.

Comments